Downtown Complete Streets Plan
The City of Watsonville is looking to prepare a complete streets plan for the downtown area to enable safe access for all users, including pedestrians, bicyclists, transit riders, and motorists of all ages and abilities. The City and their partners have been collecting input from the community since 2018 and are continuing to collect input through an extensive outreach process.
--SANTA CRUZ COUNTY REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION
To read more about Caltrans Main Street California and to view the Caltrans Main Street California Guide click on the links below.
SANTA CRUZ COUNTY REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION
Online Survey for Phase 3 Outreach
Please tell us what you think about the Preferred Plan. Share the survey with your friends and neighbors, we want to hear from everyone!
Preferred Plan Images for Phase 3 Outreach
- Preferred Plan Circulation
- Preferred Plan Amenities
- Preferred Plan Palette
- Preferred Plan Street Design Options
Thank you to everyone who provided input to help shape the Preferred Plan, the next step of the Downtown Complete Streets Plan.
3D Visuals of Main Street & Union Street Alternatives from Phase 2 Outreach
Note: through Phase 2 outreach, it was shown the community favored Alternative A (Bike Oriented) for Main Street and Alternative B (Pedestrian Oriented) for Rodriguez Street.
Input was collected at the recent Business Expo and Earth Day/Day of the Child Event to see how the community felt about the Preferred Plan. An online survey is now open to the community to continue receiving input on the Preferred Plan. The results will be shared with the City Council at the next City Council Meeting on May 14th, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. The input collected will help shape the final Complete Streets Plan.
Please check back periodically for project updates.
Several information booths and community workshops were held in 2018 to provide the community with opportunities to provide input on street design options for the Downtown. Using all of the input gathered in 2018 a Preferred Plan was prepared and shared at the input booth at the Earth Day/Day of the Child event on April 28, 2019 at the City Plaza.
- The City hosted booths about the downtown Watsonville Complete Streets Plan at the Farmers Market on April 13th, at Earth Day/Day of the Child event in the City Plaza on April 22nd, at Open Streets day on Brennan and Union Streets on June 3 and most recently at the 24th Annual Watsonville Strawberry Festival on August 4th. The City and their partners hosted booths about the Downtown Watsonville Complete Streets Plan at the events listed under the "Previous Events Section". Visitors were invited to comment on the following:
- Pedestrian improvements, bike improvements, amenities and styles that could be included in the Plan.(Image Boards)
- Reconfiguring the travel lanes, bike lanes, parking, landscaping and sidewalks on Main St., Rodriguez St., Brennan St., and Union St. (Section Options) You can also view the Alternative Plans.
- Input Results from April 18 Project Input Booth #1 and June 2018 Project Input Booth #2 - Phase 1 Outreach
- Input Results from August 2018 to October 2018 - Phase 2 Outreach
- City Council Meeting - May 14, 2019 @ 6 p.m. - Share Preferred Plan and Phase 3 Outreach Results
- City Council Meeting - June 11, 2019 @ 6 p.m.
- Farmers' Market - Informational Booth (April 13, 2018)
- Earth Day/Day of the Child - Input Booth (April 22, 2018)
- Open Streets Watsonville - Input Booth - Input (June 3, 2018)
- Watsonville Strawberry Festival - Input Booth (August 4, 2018)
- Community Bridges/Second Harvest Food Distribution - Input Booth (August 3, 2018)
- Community Traffic Safety Coalition Meeting - Input Presentation (August 7, 2018)
- Watsonville Transit Center - Input Booth - Input Booth (August 8, 2018)
- Watsonville Wetlands Watch - Input Booth (August 13, 2018)
- Metro Advisory Committee Meeting - Input Booth (August 15, 2018)
- Pajaro Valley Chamber of Commerce Lunch in the Plaza - Input Booth (August 15, 2018)
- Diamond Tech - Input Booth (August 15, 2018)
- Watsonville Transit Center - Tabling (August 16, 2018)
- Farmers Market - Input Booth (August 17, 2018)
- Pajaro Valley High School Bike Tech - Input Booth (August 18, 2018)
- Watsonville High School - Input Booth(August 27 to 31, 2018)
- Jovenes Sanos - Input Booth (August 29, 2018)
- Pajaro Valley High School Bike Tech - Input Booth (August 30, 2018)
- Girls Who Code - Input Booth (August 31, 2018)
- Digital Nest - Input Booth (August 31, 2018)
- Community Traffic Safety Coalition South County Bike/Pedestrian Working Group Meeting - Input Presentation (September 3, 2018)
- Cabrillo College Open House - Input Booth (September 5, 2018)
- Business Owner Outreach Meeting - Presentation and Input Gathering (September 26, 2018)
- Pajaro Valley Chamber of Commerce & Agriculture - Presentation and Input Gathering (October 18, 2018)
- Business Expo - Input Booth (April 25, 2019)
- Earth Day/Day of the Child - Input Booth (April 28, 2019)
Grant to Develop Watsonville Complete Streets Plan
The City of Watsonville was awarded a $250,000 Planning Grant from Caltrans. The grant will allow the City, in partnership with the Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission (SCCRTC) and Caltrans, to develop a plan for roadway improvements in the Main Street area of downtown Watsonville that benefits pedestrians, bicyclists, public transit riders and motorists. Public engagement will be done to solicit community. The plan will identify improvements that provide comfortable access to area shopping and services for all users, create a vibrant atmosphere, improve facilities for people living with disabilities and will support City and Statewide greenhouse gas emission reduction goals. Work on the plan will be done over the next twelve months.